Devil on My Shoulder
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 243 on Thu May 27, 2021 2:56 pm
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Latest topics
» Geek Stink Breath
3rd shit blog! Well, you have to use your brain now. Lol EmptyFri Jun 02, 2017 5:12 pm by Survivor of Violence

» Upcoming Shows You're Going To
3rd shit blog! Well, you have to use your brain now. Lol EmptyThu Jun 01, 2017 7:49 pm by Leonie

» News Update
3rd shit blog! Well, you have to use your brain now. Lol EmptyThu Jun 01, 2017 5:41 pm by Survivor of Violence

» Frank Turner & The Sleeping Souls/Million Dead/Möngöl Hörde
3rd shit blog! Well, you have to use your brain now. Lol EmptyMon Feb 22, 2016 7:21 pm by Leonie

» Now I'm Listening To...
3rd shit blog! Well, you have to use your brain now. Lol EmptyMon Feb 22, 2016 7:18 pm by Leonie

» Happy Birthday to LEO!!!
3rd shit blog! Well, you have to use your brain now. Lol EmptySun Feb 21, 2016 6:40 pm by Leonie

» Well, Someone's old
3rd shit blog! Well, you have to use your brain now. Lol EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 11:14 am by Leonie

» Valentines Day
3rd shit blog! Well, you have to use your brain now. Lol EmptyTue Feb 11, 2014 4:21 pm by Leonie

» Tattoos and Piercings
3rd shit blog! Well, you have to use your brain now. Lol EmptyTue Feb 11, 2014 4:19 pm by Leonie

» For The Mods only
3rd shit blog! Well, you have to use your brain now. Lol EmptySat Jan 25, 2014 8:28 am by ¡sonia!

RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

3rd shit blog! Well, you have to use your brain now. Lol

Go down

3rd shit blog! Well, you have to use your brain now. Lol Empty 3rd shit blog! Well, you have to use your brain now. Lol

"Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth."
Buddha
3rd shit blog! Well, you have to use your brain now. Lol Tumblr_m7cru9Ka731rqioxzo1_500

3rd shit blog! Well, you have to use your brain now. Lol Tumblr_m3xa0xCWIe1rqioxzo1_1280

"Through my weakness I became strong…."
3rd shit blog! Well, you have to use your brain now. Lol Tumblr_m3pwda9ZuE1rqioxzo1_1280

“I wish to be at any time hereafter only a yea-sayer!”
Friedrich Nietzsche
3rd shit blog! Well, you have to use your brain now. Lol Tumblr_m3o0ofV4NI1rqioxzo1_1280

"Don’t walk behind me; I may not lead. Don’t walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend."
Albert Camus
3rd shit blog! Well, you have to use your brain now. Lol Tumblr_m2z5mqkR7R1rqioxzo1_1280

3rd shit blog! Well, you have to use your brain now. Lol Tumblr_m2xglgkdBb1rqioxzo1_1280

3rd shit blog! Well, you have to use your brain now. Lol Tumblr_m2l4omWBSM1rqioxzo1_1280

“We live in a rainbow of chaos”
Paul Cezanne
3rd shit blog! Well, you have to use your brain now. Lol Tumblr_m2gxv4cB5V1rqioxzo1_1280

In a song from my last album called “Ulysses” I wrote about “having to begin at the journey´s end”. The song is really about the irony that often it at the end where you find the true beginning. It has taken 10 years - through various different projects & guises - to feel that I have reached this new beginning.

The underground has nurtured me, and its rewards have been not in the occasional successes, but in the ways it has shaped me as each new challenge has asked its different questions of the spirit - especially the “failures”, fuck up´s, come downs, lost paths, ego battles - and all their brothers & sisters.

The irony is that in reaching the starting line, you carry the weight of your past, and make no mistake; it is heavy.

This year I played 44 gigs in 50 days, and during the process I had tonsilitus, bronchitus, food poisoning and finally - a measly little cold which visited as if just to complete the wretched set.

There is little time to catch breath, because things have been set in motion. And gladly. Some things I´ve been working towards are somehow beginning to bear fruit.

It is a little miniature whirlwind. And within it I feel I am making paradoxical transformations physically and spiritually - and they seem in someways to be in reaction against this previous “self” which has brought me to this current bus stop on this particular road.

Namely, for the first time I feel a sense of burn out. It´s a new experience, because I have a good engine, and for the last few years I´ve felt in a near hyper active space in my songwriting.

But where I´m at is something new, and it is pretty surreal, given that there are exciting developments happening, momentum and the gradual fruition of a lot of hard work. But it´s making me think again about things. I guess this is the first voicing of these new imperceptible changes….

I feel the need to cure myself of ambition. I have met ambition many times, in myself, and in others, and for the most part, I have found her ugly. She continually over-reaches, propels herself forward, holds the moment with disregard. I guess she is actually a man for that matter….

Hell, ambition, like most things, has many faces, and how she appears is really about what pair of specs you have on.

But I guess i´ve just got to the point where I feel I need to redefine my relationship with her/him. If there is to be ambition, let it be spiritual ambition, in the capacity for a more developed self, towards the occasional insight. It´s from there that the rest follows surely….

I felt deeply uneasy about becoming a “solo artist” for the first time in 2010. I always wanted a “band”. I like the “abstract” quality of a band. Of putting forward an “idea” rather than a “face”, a “concept” rather than a “person”.

But for whatever reason, my life has led me to becoming a solo artist. And I think I now understand why. Despite all my best efforts and intentions, band life was a form of dilution. For better or worse, my songs come out of the everyday wrestling with the self & the world. Both are in transit, and their relation is often uneasy. I am aware of too much “inward looking” - of the perception of indulgence. But frankly I could not give a dam. The wars of this world, the abuse, the evil - manifest from a lack of self knowledge, not an over-dose of it.

Self is the laboratory, the body the temple where songs spring from. And yes, I am a solo artist. After all this time. Finally. Against my intended will. But the path asks things of you & you either follow it, or you spend a life ignoring it. And I am the “face” of it. But really I don´t look at the relevance of myself in this project. It is about being a vehicle for a set of ideas. Trying to channel the little insights that you “eek” out of yourself along the way.

For better or worse, there is something called the human “spirit”. And somehow all too often in this modern world it ceases up and becomes “static” once we reach a certain age.

I am sure of two things; first, that it does not have to seize up. Second, that to resist this “seizing up” is a tough fucking job.

But there you are, there´s the challenge. Personally I don´t think there is an easy route. But I do believe that effort is eventually rewarded. Chaos exists, but you can do you damdest to face it. Ultimately how we choose to live is about courage. And every day you have to renew it, because everyday it wanes.

So I am looking at my “burn-out” as an opportunity. To stop, even while in motion. To re-commit to my path in a purer way, where ambition is a bystander and, hopefully, success, a consequence of attempting to live in a way that is right - at least for me.
3rd shit blog! Well, you have to use your brain now. Lol Tumblr_m2a2l1bGkL1rqioxzo1_1280

“What is to give light must endure burning” Viktor Frankl
3rd shit blog! Well, you have to use your brain now. Lol Tumblr_m28kf6ydw51rqioxzo1_1280

“I lived rough, by my wits, was homeless, lived on the streets, lived on friends’ floors, was happy, was miserable”
Ben Okri
3rd shit blog! Well, you have to use your brain now. Lol Tumblr_m28k5rUoA41rqioxzo1_1280

“Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you’ll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you’re gonna be rewarded”
Jimi Hendrix
3rd shit blog! Well, you have to use your brain now. Lol Tumblr_m28jx2ME931rqioxzo1_1280

“A thought is an idea in transit”
Pythagoras
3rd shit blog! Well, you have to use your brain now. Lol Tumblr_m20ne5eJUI1rqioxzo1_1280

Sometimes I´m not sure whether I am running away from something or whether I am running towards something….then I realize it´s usually both at the same time…..

“Know thyself? If I knew myself I would run away” Goethe

"If you don´t live it, it won´t come out the horn"
Charlie Parker
3rd shit blog! Well, you have to use your brain now. Lol Tumblr_m1fumgv4qQ1rqioxzo1_1280

“Every human heart is a revolutionary cell”…..funny how the same statement can be at once utterly beautiful and utterly terrifying…..I guess it just depends what specs you have on….
3rd shit blog! Well, you have to use your brain now. Lol Tumblr_m07k74JdX31rqioxzo1_1280

http://jimkroft.tumblr.com/
...if you want more smile
Leonie
Leonie
Admin
Admin

http://Youwouldliketoknowthatdontyou.com

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

3rd shit blog! Well, you have to use your brain now. Lol :: Comments

Survivor of Violence

Post Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:36 pm by Survivor of Violence

wow, it's a long one! good!

Back to top Go down

Leonie

Post Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:38 pm by Leonie

Survivor of Violence wrote:wow, it's a long one! good!
Yeah, and a very interlegtual one this time... Not like the last one, where nobody got the meaning laugh

Back to top Go down

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top Go down